previous used photo

WCSJ stock photo 

A small fire was reported to a structure in the 100 block of South Lenox Street in Braceville around 11 a.m. on November 27th.

The Braceville Fire Protection District said the blaze started in the chicken coup in the rear of the house which then extended to a small portion of the home. 

One person was evaluated for smoke inhalation and the coop suffered less than $5,000 in damages.

The cause of the fire came from an electrical heating lamp in the coop and no animals were injured.

Fire officials want to remind people not to use extension cords with high draw electrical equipment. 

The Braceville Fire Protection District also wanted to thank Grundy County Sheriff’s Deputy Kevin Bogard for his assistance in the extinguishment of the blaze.

Before firefighters could arrive, Bogard made sure all animals were out of harm’s way then he took a garden hose that was nearby and started extinguishing the blaze.